National Sausage Pizza Day is October 11th and here at Hungry Howie's® we love any excuse to chow down on one of our favorite pies. Not that you ever need an excuse to order a sausage pizza, if you ask us. But we think it's wonderful that there is an entire day dedicated to the appreciation of such a fine pizza. In fact, we look forward to National Sausage Pizza Day all year long. This year, celebrate with a Hungry Howie's® Pizza and chow down on all of your favorite toppings.
The History of National Sausage Pizza Day
The history of National Sausage Pizza day is actually unknown, but that's fine by us! What we do know is that there are other sausage pizza lovers who are just are enthusiastic about the dish as we are, and it resulted in a national holiday dedicated to the pie. Every year on October 11th, sausage pizza lovers across the country find new and creative ways to celebrate.
How to Celebrate National Sausage Pizza Day
If you're looking for unique ways to celebrate National Sausage Pizza Day, we have you covered. There are countless ways that you can pay tribute to your favorite pie.
- Order a sausage topped pizza. Whether you stick with the classic mozzarella and sausage, add some veggies into the mix, or go for a supreme option like the Hungry Howie's® Meat Lovers Pizza, you can't go wrong.
- Share your pictures on social media. If you're celebrating with a sausage topped pizza, share it on social media with the hashtag #NationalSausagePizzaDay. Click the hashtag to browse and find ways that others are celebrating as well!
- Plan a pizza party. Plan a get-together with friends or have pizza catered to the office to celebrate National Sausage Pizza Day.
- Make your own pizza. Try a new recipe for homemade pizza dough and top your pie sky high with sausage bits and your other favorite toppings.
- Write a poem about sausage pizza. Or a song, or a short story that centers on sausage pizza. We believe that pizza is art, and you can express your love for the dish in many forms.
There are many other ways to celebrate National Sausage Pizza Day and none of them are wrong. Let us know how you're celebrating and contribute to our list of ideas for next year.
Fun Facts about Pizza in America
If there's an entire national holiday dedicated to it, you know that sausage pizza must be popular. But how popular is it, exactly? According to Pizza Today Magazine, sausage is the second most popular pizza topping in the United States, coming in right after pepperoni. But what else is there to know about the beloved pie, and pizza in general, in honor of National Sausage Pizza Day? It turns out, quite a bit. Check out the fun facts below to learn more about sausage pizza and America's eating and purchasing habits for some fun trivia to bring up at your next pizza night with friends or family.
- Americans consume approximately 350 slices of pizza every single second.
- There are more than 70,000 pizzerias across the United States. That would equate to 1,400 per state if they were distributed equally.
- The first pizzeria ever in existence is believed to be Port'Alba and it was built in 1830.
- On any given day, approximately 15% of Americans will consume pizza.
- Every year, Americans buy more than 3 billion individual pizza pies.
- Approximately 17% of all restaurants in the United States are pizzerias.
- While National Sausage Pizza Day is October 11th, the entire month of October is dedicated to National Pizza Month.
- 83% of Americans eat pizza at least once a month.
- Those between the ages of 6 years old and 19 years old are the most likely to eat pizza on any given day.
- The state of Connecticut has the highest number of pizzerias per capita.
- The average American consumes approximately 46 slices of pizza annually.
- Italian sausage without the casing is considered the best type of sausage to use when making a sausage pie.
- You should always precook your sausage when making a sausage pizza.
We could go on and on about fun facts and tips regarding pizza and National Sausage Pizza Day, but you get the gist. Americans love pizza, and sausage pizza tops the list of their favorite types of pies. So go ahead and order one tonight!
Pizza for Carry-Out or Delivery
By now, we have a feeling that you're probably in the mood for a cheesy, delicious sausage pizza and we can't blame you. If you're planning your next meal and sausage pizza is on your mind, place an order or carry-out or delivery from Hungry Howie's® today. You can give us a call or order online and we will bring your order straight to your door. Or, if you're in the neighborhood stop by and grab your order to go. We always love to see our customers smiling faces. Happy National Sausage Pizza Day from all of us here at Hungry Howe's®!