At Hungry Howie’s, we take pride in blending the right ingredients to create a mouth-watering, savory pizza sauce to complement our trademark Flavored Crust® creations. Of course, you can’t replicate the deliciousness of a Hungry Howie’s pizza at home, but if you’re feeling ambitious, you can learn how pizza sauce is made, and try it yourself.
Tomato pizza sauce is one of the easiest homemade recipes you can follow. You only need a few ingredients, you can easily do it in the blender or with the help of a food processor, and it’s done in no time.
Tomato sauce is the base for any pizza sauce. And while each chef prepares pizza sauce a little bit differently, you can certainly start making your own recipe. In fact, you can even freeze pizza sauce for an easy-to-cook pizza dinner.
Here is how pizza sauce is made, with a few tips on how to make it the most delicious pizza sauce your friends have ever tasted.
Pizza Sauce Ingredients
Regardless of the cooking method you use, pizza sauce always starts with the same basic ingredients. Anything else is extra or a twist on the classic pizza sauce recipe.
- Tomato paste
- Italian Spices
Tomato Paste or Fresh Tomatoes?
The longest debate in the history of pizza is perhaps the use of tomato paste versus fresh tomatoes. Some agree tomato paste gives the pizza sauce more flavor and thickness, while others argue that fresh ingredients are better.
Tomato paste tends to be more acidic than fresh tomatoes. This is why, when cooking pizza sauce with tomato paste, a pinch of sugar is needed to balance its flavor. On the other hand, fresh tomatoes give you a more liquid sauce.
Both options are entirely valid. It is a matter of taste preference and cooking styles. Fresh tomatoes need longer cooking time than tomato paste because they tend to release more liquids.
Pizza Sauce Preparation
Some people believe pizza sauce should not be cooked before it will be cooked in the oven. Others think the sauce should be cooked on the stove before adding it to the pizza. Eventually, it all depends on how you use the ingredients.
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor
- Spread immediately over the pizza dough
- Proceed to add cheese and toppings
- Bake pizza
- Heat the olive oil and toss in tomato paste or tomatoes
- Blend in the spices, garlic, powdered onion and parsley
- Lower the heat and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes
- Cool completely
- Add over pizza dough
- Finish with cheese and toppings
- Bake pizza
Pizza Sauce Tips
The sauce is the most important thing on a pizza. If you do not like the toppings, you don’t them. But pizza isn’t pizza without pizza sauce. Use these tips to make sure you always cook the ultimate pizza sauce for you and your guests.
- Add cheese – To make the sauce richer, add a few tablespoons of powdered Parmesan cheese.
- Roasted garlic – Roast unpeeled cloves in the oven for 20 minutes to give your sauce a heartier, smokier flavor.
- Add ripe plum tomatoes – Although all tomatoes work for pizza sauce, ripe plum tomatoes are sweet and packed with flavor.
- Add fat – Add a few tablespoons of olive oil or butter to make your sauce more rich and decadent.
The secret to the perfect pizza sauce is combining the best ingredients you can find. You can add as many other ingredients as you like. Some pizza sauces include anchovies or onions blended with the tomatoes for extra flavor. Experiment with different recipes until you find the one that works for you.
Of course, you could skip all that work and just order a fresh, hearty, Hungry Howie’s Flavored Crust® pie!